Thursday, October 24, 2013

Review: "Humor Abuse" at The Mark Taper Forum



A number of weeks ago, I watched the final dress rehearsal of Humor Abuse. And oh. My. Gosh. I did not have high expectations, as I had heard it was a one man show, which is not really my jam. However, this production ended up becoming of thee best one man shows I have EVER SEEN. (Which is a lot after seeing a lot of theatre in New York over the past two years)


The actor, Lorenzo Pisoni, begins the show by casually telling the story of his childhood, transforming into the teenage years, and gradually into adulthood as a performer in his parents' circus. At first, he seems like a totally normal guy, not an overly pompous actor, not a creepy clown guy, like you might expect coming out of this environment, but truthfully very engaging and normal at the same time. He's actually pretty cute. But soon, his true story unwinds almost incidentally showcasing his natural circus talents and touching family moments. 


The man can flip. He can trip without hurting himself, innocently deliver hilarious jokes, juggle, make things disappear, fall down flights of stairs and...touch your heart. He will sweat buckets. And for the record, it's not overkill. It's not just tricks: all of the action is beautifully connected to Lorenzo's journey. Watching the show with my mother, at one point I couldn't help but turn to her and whisper that the trick Lorenzo had just performed was probably my 11 year old brother's dream to accomplish. So, I invited my dad and my brother a week later and they absolutely loved it. We couldn't stop talking about it, and my dad even brought it up to his friends at work the following week; cool! 

I really like that the Mark Taper Forum opened their season with a show that a family can watch and be entertained by, but also one that delivers a bittersweet message of how family makes us the adults we become and how the lessons of our youth can inform and impact us for the rest of our lives. And I cannot emphasize enough what an incredibly talented performer he is. He makes you want to listen, and then he makes you unable to turn away. I strongly recommend this production for regular dates, for father daughter dates, for after brunch family outings and everything in between. Lorenzo's story is hilarious as well as beautiful, with something for everyone.

Humor Abuse runs at the Mark Taper Forum at the Music Center in Downtown LA from September 17th through November 3rd. For tickets please visit the Center Theatre Group Website.

No comments:

Post a Comment